Bright Tangerine has just introduced the Misfit Kick 360, a high-end matte box that can take up to three filters, including two stages that can fully rotate. This matte box supports filters up to 5.65 x 5.65″, and you can either clamp it to the front of your lens or use it on 15mm rods with a swing-away adapter. Let’s take a closer look at it!
When I think about high-end camera accessories with no compromises, only a few companies immediately come to my mind, including British manufacturer Bright Tangerine. However, if you missed it, you can take a look at our reports about the Bright Tangerine AXL EVF mount or their recent LeftField System for the RED Komodo.
Last year, the company introduced the Misfit Kick, a two and three stages carbon fiber mattebox that you can configure either as a clip-on, rod mount, or swing away matte box. The original Misfit Kick already had some unique features like the Frame Safe clamp adapters that allow you to secure your matte box to your rig via a safety wire.
The company went back to the drawing table, and they just introduced what could be the ultimate studio/field production matte box: the Bright Tangerine Misfit Kick 360.
Bright Tangerine Misfit Kick 360 similarities
The Bright Tangerine Misfit Kick 360 has a lot in common with the “original” Misfit Kick, including:
- A 2-Stage Core which is the base of the system. It is made of aluminum and lightweight carbon fiber.
- You can start with a “base kit” that takes two filters and expend it later with an additional stage so it can take three filters.
- For clamp-on use, you need to attach a Frame Safe clamp at the back of the matte box. These clamp adapters are available in various sizes, including all industry standard ones: 80mm/85mm/95mm/114mm and so on.
- The Frame Safe clamps also allows you to further secure the matte box to your rig via a safety wire in case you’re shooting in dangerous environements.
- The Misfit Kick and Misfit Kick 360 are clamp-on matte boxes that can be converted to a Swing-Away for studio shoots via an optionnal adapter.
- Compatible with ARRI filter trays.
So, what’s different from its predecessor?
As its name suggests, the Bright Tangerine Misfit Kick 360 features two rotatable filter trays. In addition, both rotatable filter trays can rotate independently, which is helpful if you use polarizing or gradient filters.
Also, as the Misfit Kick 360 is slightly bigger/larger than the original one, it can now take 4 x 4″, 4 x 5.65″, and 5.65 x 5.65″ filters.
Most of the other features are similar between the original Misfit Kick and the 360 version. So if you don’t need filter-rotatable capabilities, I guess you can keep enjoying your Misfit Kick.
Price and availability
The Misfit Kick 360 is available now and starts at $1868/€1597 for the “base” 2-stage kit. The fully-featured 3-stage Swing Away kit retails for $2967/€2540. As a direct comparison, the original Misfit Kick 2-stage kit starts at $1328/€967.
For more information, please visit Bright Tangerine’s website here.
What do you think about this new Misfit Kick 360 mattebox? Do you often need to rotate your filter trays when using a matte box? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments down below!